Ville de Clermont-Ferrand

 
History

Clermont-Ferrand’s first name was Augusto Nemetum. It was born on the central knoll where the cathedral is situated today. It overlooked the capital of Gaulish Avernie. The fortified castle of Clarus Mons gave its name to the whole town in 848, to which the small town of Montferrand was attached in 1731, together taking the name of Clermont-Ferrand.

Chronology

Key events in France and in the region:

Crusades

Why the first crusade took place *. The idea of a Crusade was born in Clermont in 1095. Such a movement had never occurred before, reuniting as it did the richer and poorer (...)

History and her

Since February 1996, "Demain Clermont-Ferrand" magazine has published a series of cards describing the history and heritage of Clermont-Ferrand. All of these cards (...)

Montferrand: eight centuries of history

Old Montferrand is not exactly what we imagine. We think of it as a district (although it is older) of the Auvergne metropolis. It is a real town, a calm, attractive haven, (...)

From Nemossos to Clermont-Ferrand

The town of Clermont-Ferrand came about with the joining together of two separate towns, Clermont and Montferrand, which was decreed by Louis XIII and confirmed by Louis (...)

An essentially Episcopal town

At this time, it was likely that the Gallo-Roman town had a population of between 15,000 and 30,000 inhabitants within an area of 5 to 6 (...)

The struggles between the bishops and the bourgeois

To counterbalance Clermont’s power as an Episcopal town, the counts of Auvergne established the town of Montferrand outside one of their castles. During the XII century, the (...)

The old roads

The old part of Clermont is delimited by the route of the ramparts, as they existed at the end of the Middle Ages.